Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday 1-18

Sunday

Ran the Houston Half Marathon
Official chip time: 2 hours, 19 minutes, 34 seconds
Avg.pace: 10:39. A Personal Record(PR) as I never averaged sub 11 minutes in a long distance race.

Faster second half of race, sustained pace and pushed it a bit harder than expected during the last 3 miles. I was hoping for 2:15, but considering it's the first race in two years, not bad at all. Losing lots of weight and the strength training helped in maintaining a faster pace. This is my first "long distance" race where the goal was not "just finish."I felt the difference at the finish line as I needed to sit down for 10 minutes and wait for my heart rate to drop before I started eating and drinking.

Need to work on building more stamina, confidence, and strategy. I found myself spending a lot of energy going around people as the main pack of the race was huge. To be in the middle of the pack is defintely different than in past years where I was at the end of it.

Overall, glad to finish safely and strong, and yes... I'm eating whatever I want today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Sary!

Congratulations on running a PR in the half marathon! That's great, especially for such a warm day. I couldn't watch the race because I was in Austin - I saw some of the evening news coverage though. Take it easy this week - see you soon.

Jim