Friday, July 18, 2008

Food and Drinks, Hmmmmm

I definitely need to control portions and the way my food is cooked. So here's what I live by (loosely based on the Glycemic Index(GI) diet which is better than all this crazy low carb junk out there). To my family and friends: I am NOT diabetic, please don't freak out!!
Based on the GI lifestyle
I focus on :(obviously with exception of beans and lentils due to my food allergy)
  • Lots of raw vegetables, salads, roasted or grilled vegetables,
  • All Fruits are allowed but moderation with mango ,watermelon, and banana is recommended
  • Skim milk, fat free yogurt, reduced fat Feta, cheddar, etc
  • Whole grain and bran cereal with high fiber content,oatmeal,bulgur,quinoa(whole grain that cooks like rice but has higher protein), and occasional small portion of brown rice
  • Lean chicken, beef, salmon, tuna(canned or fillet),tofu, grilled veggie burgers, and other lean soy protein products. I may try ground turkey soon!
  • Eggs: occasionally, on Saturdays of Sundays
  • Little bit of olive oil for cooking
  • Occasional 8-10 raw almonds or walnuts
  • Olive oil, lemon, and vinegar for salad dressing
  • Occasional carbonated water and splash of lemon/lime for flavor
  • Lots and lots of water, almost 90 oz per day

I do my best to avoid:

  • Fried foods, fast food, candy, hydrogenated/trans fats, and high fructose corn syrup
  • Fatty meats
  • High sugar items and starchy food(baked potatoes, sticky rice, white pasta, white bread, etc)
  • High caffeine and Diet Coke( the sugar substitute interferes with weight loss actually)

No comments: